#1000doilies: @lisasolomon and the Crocheters of Instagram
To see more photos and videos from the 1000 Doilies project in the making, browse the #1000doilies, #inmystudio1000 and #lisasolomonsen hashtags and the Fouladi Projects location page.
When Lisa Soloman (@lisasolomon) had the idea to create 1000 doilies made from 100 colors of thread, she soon realised this wasn’t a one-woman feat.
Enlisting the help of 49 crocheting Instagrammers across the world, Lisa managed to create a collaborative art piece, now on display at the Fouladi Projects gallery in San Francisco, California, until 21 December, 2013.
"As an artist I have found that Instagram is an amazing way to share little snippets from the studio," Lisa says. "It’s really great to get immediate feedback and to document the process of art being made. So often we see the final results of an artist’s work, but on Instagram we get a behind-the-scenes look."
Born to a Japanese mother, Lisa began to research the number 1000, which has a resonance in the country’s culture and history. The show also includes drawings of 1000 cherry trees and Senninbari–good luck belts made with 1000 French knots. A common theme in the exhibition is the idea of lifting common handicraft to the realm of fine art through repetition.
Out of every 10 doilies displayed, one has dangling threads to show the toil of the process, and those Instagramming their creations have also shared their crafting stories on the #1000doilies hashtag.
To see more behind the scenes of the #1000doilies exhibition, follow these crocheters on Instagram:
- Crocheting pastels with Catherine Lewin, Belgium – @petitepimprenelle
- Home-cooking and farmlife from Kate Ulman, Australia – @foxslane
- Blair Stoker, quilt-maker and author of a book about handmade projects in Seattle, United States – @blairs
- Flowers and quilts from Grace Sharp, New Zealand – @chainofdaisies
- In the artist’s studio with Janise Munro and Elaine Haby, Australia – @gracialouise
- Family life with Cyndi Monyhan in Maryland, United States – @elf_girl
- Ellie Beck, tea and craft from Australia – @petalplum
- Lisa Duran, United States – @sparrowsandsuch